Thursday, June 26, 2014


A few days ago one of my lovely blog buddies, Christine Arel, owner of the delicious site No Gojis No Glory, honored me with a shout out in her blog tour. She then challenged me to carry on the tour here on Yumology.

For those who are intrigued, a blog tour is one of those lovely self-indulgent things we bloggers do to let you, our readers, in on our process. So often all you see are the tasty images, shopping lists and recipe instructions, all packaged up in some quirky language. What you don't see is where the inspiration comes from, what one post truly involves and all the hard work that goes into getting that perfect, moth-watering picture worthy of being pinned to your food board.

So here goes…a little bit about my blogging process and other bloggers I admire.


1. WHAT AM I WORKING ON?
Oh geez, so many things. I've had a long list of projects for Yumology since the day I started the site many moons ago. Right now my main focus is on improving my photography and branching into video content. I don't have the most photogenic kitchen, so a bit of remodeling is taking place before I am HD-ready.

2. HOW DOES MY WORK DIFFER FROM OTHERS OF ITS GENRE?
I've made no secret of the fact that I hate to bake. It seems that every other food blogger on the planet thrives on delicious recipes for cookies, brownies, cakes and pies. But not me. I'm much better at savory dishes that require very little precision on measurement. That's another dirty little secret…I hardly ever measure out my ingredients. I once read that that was a trait of true chefs, they go by instinct rather than instructions. If that's the case just call me Julia!

3. WHY DO I WRITE WHAT I DO?
Well obviously I love to cook. I started blogging about it because I had many people asking me for the recipes I had created for them. I thought it was much easier to park everything in one spot and send them a link rather than writing out recipes over and over again. If we're talking about the tone and banter that surrounds each post, I guess that's just me. I'm a tad-bit sassy and a lot smart-assy and I find it's best to be yourself. Your readers will trust and appreciate you more.

4. HOW DOES MY WRITING PROCESS WORK?
It's pretty organic. I think of a recipe I'd like to try, I shop for it, create it, photograph it and then write about it afterwards. That sounds simple but it's a lot more work than you'd think. Sometimes recipes can inspire long stories with a ton of history, others stand alone as just "something I thought I'd try." I'm not much of a process person, this is probably why I work best alone. I'm one for pioneering new ways of doing things, walking your own path. I may not always be as popular as other blogs, but I'm me a that's the key to my success and happiness. Well, that, and coffee. Lots of coffee.


BLOGS THAT INSPIRE ME

There are so many different components to a blog, and I admire different blogs for different reasons...

If we're talking about inventive, ground-breaking recipes one of my favorites is A Brown Table. Nik makes incredible concoctions from his Roasted Purple Yam and Molasses Ice Cream to his Mango Spiced Baby Potatoes with Buttermilk Sauce.

For fun family recipes I know my son will enjoy I can think of no one better than Matt Robinson at Real Food by Dad. Matt is armed to the teeth with weeknight meals like Mexican Cheesy Chicken Bake and sweet treats like Brownie Bite Pudding Pops with Salted Caramel.

When it comes to writing style there is no one who can make me laugh like my girl, Kristy Gardner at SheEats. Kristy's wit speaks to her talent and intelligence all at the same time. Do yourself a favor and pour a bourbon-neat as you join Kristy for an evening of whole foods and fun.

There are a plethora of excellent food photographers out there but the ones who really knock my socks off are My Name is Yeh, Princess Tofu, Frolic Chocolate, Une Gamine dans la Cuisine and Lady and Pups. Be sure to eat before you visit these sites because if you weren't hungry before you found them, you will be after.

So there you have it. My blog tour. I hope it's given you a little more insight into Yumology and the inspiration behind it. I truly appreciate every single one of you who has joined me on this journey, and I hope you'll stick around for many more delicious adventures to come.

Cheers, Yummies!
xoxo

Tagged:

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for making my day, Megan! Seriously, I was so happy to see that you enjoy my recipes, I certainly have fun making them and the fact that they are enjoyed by others like you definitely makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan, I found your blog through Christine's blog.
    I'd say, I share the same feelings with you about baking! I really LOVE cooking savory food but have big troubles at baking. I tried to bake and wanted to share those exquisite cookies and cakes to attract more visitors, but I don't feel like myself anymore while doing this.
    Very nice post by the way. Feeling so glad that the blog tour brings me to so many great blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy reading how other bloggers do their thing, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, I adore you. Our writing process sounds so similar - mine is about the same as yours. I know a lot of bloggers who map out every single little detail but where's the fun in that? Gimme organic spontaneity any day.

    PS. You just made my day including me in your list. Thank you thank you thank you. You definitely inspire me each and every single day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete