Thursday, June 19, 2014



I know that using a slow cooker in the summer is considered a rare form of foodie-insanity, but I couldn't resist. I had this huge craving for curry that had to be dealt with.

When we lived in New York we could order the most delicious, authentic, flavorful curries any hour of the day. Now that we're in Kansas, finding good Indian food is a challenge. Ergo, I took it upon myself to recreate my favorite tandoor takeout with a midwestern twist.

Moroccan and Middle-Eastern foods are very spice-heavy so be prepared to give your spice rack a major workout!

YOU WILL NEED

6 chicken drumsticks
6 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1 tbsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup of grated yellow onion
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp saffron powder
1/2 tsp ground turmeric 
1 cup of pitted green olives
Juice from 2 lemons
1 cup water

GET COOKIN
  1. Remove your chicken drumsticks from their packaging and wash them.
  2. In a large bowl use your fingers to mix together the cumin, ginger, paprika, salt, black pepper, saffron powder and turmeric.
  3. When all of the spices are mixed gently massage in the olive oil, minced garlic and grated onion to form a paste.
  4. When the paste is well mixed slowly add the lemon juice and water and whisk until smooth.
  5. Add the chicken drumsticks to the slow cooker and pour the sauce over them.
  6. Toss the drumsticks in the sauce to make sure they are well coated, then toss in the olives.
  7. Cook in your slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours.
  8. Serve with basmati rice.
I let my drumsticks cook in this sauce for six hours and the chicken just fell off the bone. It was so tender and flavorful. I hope you try it. 

Enjoy, Yummies!

Tagged: ,

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the spices in this, and so easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is getting Pinned right now! I am always looking for Middle Eastern recipes I can make at home. Coming from a big city to Wyoming I seriously miss delicious ethnic food. It would be great served over some brown rice...mmmm!

    ReplyDelete