Thursday, February 27, 2014


Do y'all know A Brown Table? This dude…he's like the Martin Scorcesse of food photography. His pictures are dark, twisty, sometimes violent, sophisticated and sexy. I swear I wish I had his talent. He makes the most decadent recipes and dresses them up in their Sunday best. SO GOOD!

Anyway…A Brown Table has been posting a ton of ice cream recipes lately, so many that I couldn't help but go out and buy a little ice cream maker of my own. Challenge accepted? More like David fighting Goliath. But I figured I'd take baby steps to begin with, then get all fancy n' stuff after I've mastered the techniques. 

This recipe was my maiden voyage into making my own ice cream. I went to Williams Sonoma and asked the clerk's advice on which ice cream maker she thought was best for a newbie like me. She directed me to the Cuisinart model and the stack of ice cream starter kits Williams Sonoma sells for those who are new to the craft. 

I bought my goods and headed home to play with my new best friend. Although it sounds somewhat intimidating, making your own ice cream is really SO easy. You add the ingredients to the freeze bowl, sit back and let it churn!

Behold, our mocha chip ice cream baby.


YOU WILL NEED

1 1/2 cups of half & half
1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
1 packet of the Williams Sonoma Mocha Chip ice cream starter


GET COOKIN'

  1. You'll want to be sure and follow the instructions on your ice cream maker as far as how long you freeze the churn bowl before using, how long you churn for etc. 
  2. For this brand and these ingredients we froze our bowl for about 15 hours in the coldest part of our freezer. We also wrapped it in a plastic bag to prevent freezer burn.
  3. We added the half and half and the ice cream starter to a large mixing bowl and whisked it together until the mix dissolved completely.
  4. We then stirred in the heavy cream until smooth.
  5. We inserted the churn bowl into the maker's base, added the paddle and the lid. Turned on the maker and as it spun we poured in our ice cream mix.
  6. We let the cream churn for 30 minutes, removed it from the base, poured the mix into an air tight container and added it to the freezer for another 5 hours. 
  7. Be sure to follow the directions on your ice cream maker as regards cleaning the parts and pieces. Many of them cannot go in the dishwasher and need to be washed by hand. 
We hope you'll try making your own ice cream at home and share your delicious recipes with us!


Happy Churning Yummies!
xoxo

Tagged: ,

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the kind words, Megan. The ice cream looks superb and I hope that you will enjoy your new ice cream maker... a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Megan... you're right! His photos are amazing! Wish I had that talent, too! Love your ice cream recipe! It looks so delicious... and your photos are gorgeous! Can't wait to try it! Our ice cream maker gets lots of use over here! A favorite of my four littles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he fabulous! Totally inspirational. I see many bowls of ice cream in Yumology's future. :)

      Delete